Its no secret that I have decided to make a change in my diet and start eating better plus exercising. Why am I doing this?? Well the answer is b/c I want to be healthy. This got me thinking the other day, was i born with a fat gene?? Was I predestined to be overweight?? The answer is NO! While eating lunch one day this past week I picked up The Elgin News from August 4, 2011. In this little paper was a fantastic article by Dr. Chester Ferguson. In the article he stated that " our genes contain the predetermined code that is built into all living things. This code does determine to a large degree our health potential but not necessarily our outcome." I think this is where people get the idea that they are born to be fat. But the truth to that is that people use it to justify their poor family health history or their own poor nutrition choices. In the article, Dr. Ferguson uses this as an example: " All living things have what we call limits of matter. This simple means that a person with one kidney may not be as healthy as a person with two kidneys or will certainly have some limitations but they can reach 100% of the maximum potential for a person with one kidney." So with that stated, no matter what your family health history or genetics YOU have the choice to either meet your maximum health potential or not. To meet your potential you may need to exercise, eat nutritional meals, and take a look at your stress levels. It is our responsibility to make GOOD choices. You don't have to give up chocolate cake or ranch dressing BUT you did need to have them in moderation. Don't eat chocolate cake every day or pour two cups of ranch dressing on your salad. So was I born fat? No, but I did make the decision to eat what I ate and am now working to reverse that. Eating well balanced meals and exercising is the BEST way to combat obesity and I am going to win this battle.
Never Giving Up!!
J-Tru
The Elgin News, August 4, 2011, Does What I Eat Really Matter, Dr. Charles Ferguson
No comments:
Post a Comment