Today I was off from work so of course I was able to watch television shows that come on usually while I am at work. Now let me go ahead and tell you that I am not an Oprah fan but today I did watch her show. It was about people who had lost weight and their inspiring stories. The majority of the audience had lost at least 100 lbs each and they had maintained it for now. One little girl who is 11 was on the show and she was a "fat" little girl but then she asked her mom for some help when she saw her mom lose weight for a triathlon. She had lost weight and she is now competing in a triathlon for kids at Disney. I guess her story was so special to me b/c growing up I was just like her. From when I can remember to present, I have been overweight. When I was a little girl, I remember being the "bigger girl" on the softball team and the tap/jazz recitals. Even though it never really made me feel bad about myself, it still was there in the back of my mind that I was bigger than the other girls. My parents were supportive in me eating well and being active, yet at times the choices were not there. I loved debbie cakes, sweets, and any candies. Mom would make meals that were good for me but I think at times the ones that were convenient took the front seat and they might no have been the best choices. I cant ever remember being in a size that was a single digit and I don't want that now. When I was 12/13 mom and I were going to WW then and I was losing weight. In fact I lost a good amount and was doing great---this was approved by my doctor b/c if you are under 18 you have to get permission from a physician. Also at 14 something happened in my life that completely turned it upside down. My sister passed away and then the eating started happening again. People brought food over for days and I didn't care what I was eating as long as I was happy. I just didn't really care anymore. I was going to be me and if I was 100 pounds or 200 pounds, you would accept me as I am or get lost. Well as we all know that is not healthy but I really didn't care what people thought anymore. I never shied away from putting on a bathing suit with the itty bitty girls around, I had confidence but I think it was a masked confidence. I was me, but not a healthy me. So again for years I would eat and gain more weight. So not until I was in my early 20's did I care again about what I was putting in my body. I of course needed to eat better but the one thing that made me want it more was that I wanted to find the man of my dreams, have babies, and live happily forever. So, I joined WW again and lost weight, not so much this time but I think it was at least 20 pounds or so. So I definitely wanted to keep it off but things happen and I went on vacation and gained weight. Then I met the man of my dreams and we started planning a wedding. Well I wanted to be slimmer but I knew it wouldn't be overnight itty bitty but I did lose weight and was smaller than before. It was great. As many know, the first year of marriage is full of eating and not worrying about what it is you are putting in your mouth. Well January of this year, I got sick of looking at myself in the mirror and decided its time to make it happen. I was tired of yo-yo-ing and I had some news from the doctor that made me want to change. My g-ma was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and I learned this can be from too much fat in your body. So this scared me. I went to the doctor and she told me that I was pre-diabetic and if I don't make a change now, then next year when I come in I may be put on meds. Well that was the kick in the butt I needed. So I jumped on the weight loss train and have been going full speed ahead since then. Not only is it health that I am doing this for but also my future children. I just want to be around for my kids and give them the life they deserve. So that was a lot but that was why Oprah resonated with me today.
For those who are battling weight loss, I feel your pain and know what you are going through. Just know that the end result is so worth it!!
Happy Losing!
J-Tru
No comments:
Post a Comment