CLR—Camp Longridge is the best place on earth. I grew up there. Since the age of 7(yes I know you are supposed to be 8 to attend) I have been going every summer—yep every now I go visit at least once. Today was the first CLR alumni brunch and then an open house followed for people in the community to come join in and see what CLR is all about. Rob had never been but he always hears stories about camp and how much I love this place. So we decided to attend the alumni brunch and open house. We arrived and were greeted by sweet, smiling faces of the new staffers and also my favorite person, Erica. There was a huge sign that said “Welcome Alumni of CLR” and also a banner for use to sign under the years we worked….that was a lot for me. From the years of 2000 to 2008, I worked at CLR. I was a staffer from 2000 to 2004 and 2005 to 2008 I was the secretary for the camp and Frank Shivers Evangelistic Assoc. I loved every moment that I spent on the grounds of CLR. Some years were better than others but I grew each summer in my walk with God and made some long, lasting friendships. I introduced Rob to some important people (or at least I feel that they are)…Mark, Scott, and of course Frank—but he had briefly met him at our wedding, there was so many people there though it’s all a blur :O). After some introductions, more staff started to arrive. There were lots of hugs, smiles, and laughs. It was great to see people I had worked with in 2000 and also those in 2008. We ate brunch---biscuits with sausage gravy, breakfast casserole, and cereal. After eating and mingling at the tables, Warren sang, Tasha spoke and also Hillary. They spoke about what CLR means to them. After the formal speeches, Scott prayed and then we closed out the prayer with “I love you Lord” like we did in the summers after each time Frank prayed on Monday mornings getting ready for campers to arrive. The singing ended and now it was time to tour the camp and see the renovations. Rob and I went to Cabin 1 (which was my first cabin and also the cabin that my home church sponsors.) Many memories on that front porch came flooding to my mind—some good, some not so good. We went in and saw the foyer area had been tiled and also the bathroom…it looks great. I told Rob about the extra showers being added in the past years, and also how they bunks had been painted since the “graffiti” was taking over. The graffiti was where kids had signed their names—including myself as a camper. I am a little sad that is gone but the cabins looks great. After looking at Cabin One we walked on down to Clark Lake. As we walked I told him about the bathhouse being renovated for support staff to live in. We headed on down the dreaded steps and I showed Rob where the old aluminum slide use to be and how it was not fun when you cut your hands on it. We got to the bottom of the steps and he saw the Lake. He thought the slide was awesome and of course the blob. He walked out onto the dock and he thought it was funny that he would make it sway from side to side. He then took a nice siesta under the swing/sitting area. I of course mingled for a bit and then sat with my hubby. We talked about the lake and if I had ever swam across it. I had, to the cross and back, several times. After a while it was time for lunch so we headed back up the hill to the dining hall. We had lunch—hamburger, hot dogs, baked beans, slaw, and cake. After eating with Julie and her crew on the Orange table, it was time for Rob and I to head back to the O-burg. We said our good-byes and headed home. It was a great day. :O)
A little sunburned,
J-Tru
No comments:
Post a Comment