Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Decision

Over the past week Robert and I have had some serious conversations about the changes that would take place in our lives when three children (one day I can share their names!!) are added.  We have discussed schedules, time commitments to organizations we are a part of, bedroom furniture, what children eat, how nervous we are and how excited we are too...the list goes on and on and on. I guess we now know how it feels, maybe a tiny bit, when preparing for a newborn.

I knew my decision of "YES" the moment we walked out of the office on Friday afternoon, June 27--if you ask Robert, he always knows how I fully feel about something because I wear every emotion I have on my face...he always knows what I am thinking, it is scary!!! Even though I knew (and He knew what I was thinking) what I decided, we still needed to read their information and evaluate what we can handle. My heart broke as I read some of the info but then rejoiced when I read more. I read the file two or three times and decided to make "positive plates" on each child. Nothing fancy but I took a plate and wrote their names on them. I read through the file (again) and every positive adjective I read I wrote it on the plate--they filled up pretty quickly! One thing that I kept going back to in my head was a reminder that a sweet friend, Rachael (who is also going through the adoption process too) said to me--these children are more than their file. This statement has been resonating in my head over and over and over because it is the truth. The information stated on paper about someone should not define who they are and who they will become.

Moving on, Robert had not said much about the children and so I started to ask him questions every day--yes, every day! He is very much a logical thinker in my eyes...so happy he is my partner in life because he helps me down off of ledges often. On Thursday, I started asking again about what he was thinking. He told me about concerns he had but nothing that could not be handled. His concerns were mainly commitment and schedules....basically, he wanted to make sure that we are fully committed because three children is a HUGE addition to our family. We discussed some more and then we agreed, that YES, we want to meet these three AMAZING children.

Now, I would be lying if I said that we were not nervous, scared, excited, overjoyed, *insert any adjective you can think of* about the opportunity to meet the three children and add to our family. We are very optimistic about the next steps and cannot wait to see how God works. We have sent a hard copy of our Family Book to the children’s worker. They will then review it and decide if they want to meet us--fingers crossed they say YES!!! After that, we meet.

Continue to pray for us as we prepare our hearts and minds to meet these three. Our hearts are bursting with joy but many steps are left to get to the finish line.

I can say without any doubt that our Savior has been with us through the entire process. From day one, we have had a smooth (at times crazy because of my impatience) journey. Robert reminded me all the time that things happen when they are supposed to and that I need to just let Him work. Our Lord gave me peace when I needed it most and has guided us to make all decisions we have made. He has placed certain people in our lives to give us good, sound, Godly advice when we felt lost or needed a little boost. We cannot say thank you enough to our Lord but I do know that we can raise these three children in a Godly home and show them the love of our sweet Lord.

Continue to pray with and for us and the children. Also, pray for those who are still waiting-children and potential parents.

We love you!

3 comments:

  1. So,so excited! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I am so proud to know such a sweet, caring, Loving person that you are. The kids will be so lucky to get two fun Loving and God devoted parents as you and Rob. It won't be a smooth journey , but with kids it never is, there will be ups and downs, but you two have the most important tools on your side, God and Love and then throw in everybody that is praying for your new family .. So excited for all of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this made me tear up! Thank you so much, we are very excited to see what is up next for us and our Roddy boy.

      Delete